Date of birth- 15 October 1935
Permanent address – Block A, Pocket O, # 28, Kala Kunj,
Shalimar Bagh, Delhi- 110088
Tel. Landlines +91-11-7475364, and +91 11 2747 3828,
A. Present position- Professor Emeritus, School of Planning & Architecture(University), New Delhi, India.48 years of teaching at graduate level, Urban Planning & Management & Urban Design.
B. Major International assignments
1. Principal Adviser (International) World Bank, Govt. of Nepal Urban Development, 17 July 2015 to 17 February 2016.
2. Visiting Research Professor, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, July 2014
3. Visiting research Professor , Nagoya Institute of technology, Nagoya, October 2014
4. Coordinator & Senior Advisor, Global Centre for Excellence Human Security Project, Kyoto University, Japan, 2009-2013. Integrated Disaster Risk Management for Mumbai Mega city.
5. Visiting professor, Kyoto University,Kyoto, Japan, August 2007 – July, 2008.
6. Visiting Professor, International Research Center for Japanese Studies, (Nichibunken), 3-2 Oeyamacho, Nishikyoku, Kyoto, Japan. (1995 & 2003).
7. International specialist, Urban Management, UNDP/UNCHS, Thailand, 1997.
8. Senior consultant, UN, Department of Economic & Social Affairs (DESA), United Nations, New York. (1999-2001).
9. Consultant, Shimizu Construction Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, 1992.
10. Senior Fellow, UN Centre for Regional Development, Japan, 1991.
11. Visiting professor, Economic Research Centre, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, 1990
C. Major National assignments
1. Mott Macdonald Pvt. Ltd 2014, Team Leader URDPFI Project, MoUD, Govt. of India.
2. Louis Berger Group Inc. Team Leader, DFID Project “Designing Green Modules for New Urban Spaces, West Bengal”, September, 2010.
3. Consultant / Expert (Institutional Development and Management), LEA Associates South Asia Pvt. Ltd., 2009-2010, DMIC National Project, Govt. of India.
4. Principal consultant, Team leader, Delhi Master Plan 2021, 2003. & 2007. Project- Strategic land Development for New Urban Extensions, Delhi Development Authority, Govt. of India.
5. WAPCOS, Govt. of India, 1994. Consultant, Team Leader, New Town Project, Project- Design of a new Hydro-electric project town at Gedu, Bhutan.
6. Consulting Engineering Services (CES), 1993-1995. Consultant, Team Leader urban planning Project- New Towns design and planning, Priority Towns Development, National Capital Region, India.
7. Port Trust of India, Govt. of India, Consultant Team Leader, Land Use Master Plan, Visakhapatnam Port Township, 1987-88 and Paradip Port Township 1996-97
D. Professional experience
40 years of experience in urban planning and urban management, disaster risk management, impact of climate change and development policy and strategy.
E. Specific research interest – Integrated Disaster Risk Management, Grass root initiatives in creating resilient communities,Urban spatial policies and control mechanisms, Impact of Climate change on human settlements development.
SPURS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 1976-77
Advance level Diploma in Regional Development, UN, Nagoya, Japan, 1973.
M.Tech, School of planning & Architecture, New Delhi – 1966.
Ph.D, course Patna University, 1955-59.
G. Professional membership
Co-Chair, ARC.PEACE International, Sweden / Spain
Fellow, Institute of Town Planners, India
Founder member & Board member, IDRiM, Sociaety, Japan
Life Member, Regional Science Association.